Filed under Campus Life, Life

Letting it grow for a cause

This November, UVM students can grow out their mustaches and beards for a cause.

Movember, a nonprofit foundation that started in Australia, works to raise funds for men’s health, with all proceeds raised going toward prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health research, according to the organizations website.

Every November, Movember holds a fundraiser where men grow out their facial hair for 30 days while raising money and awareness for men’s health.

Junior and philanthropy chair of Sigma Phi Fraternity Derek MacDonald has participated in Movember’s fundraiser for the last four years, he said.

This year, MacDonald hopes to extend the fundraiser outside of Greek life and get as many UVM students involved as possible.

PHOTO BY KAT WAKS

PHOTO BY KAT WAKS

“Participants can create an online profile on the Movember website either solo or with a team, and then others can donate money through your profile which will go toward the causes [Movember is fundraising for],” he said.

MacDonald is currently recruiting students from a variety of other sports and clubs, including the outing club, ski and snowboard club, men’s club lacacrosse, and men’s club soccer, as well as other fraternities and sororities. Anyone is able to participate.

MacDonald has joined with Movember to establish a single UVM network, he said.

“The school-wide network is a test run,” MacDonald said. “Any success is success, no negatives to be seen [about it].”

Following registration, individual participants or teams can join one big network all under UVM’s name.

“No-Shave November is a tradition that a lot of men participate in anyway, so the fact that there is now an opportunity to do it and raise money for important causes is great,” said sophomore Matt Glauner.

MacDonald is also working to increase Movember awareness by coordinating on-campus events with Student Life.

Throughout the month, there will be a table set up in the Davis Center where students can donate directly to the organization.

Other future fundraisers will include a dodgeball tournament and Stache Bash, which is a formal event at the end of the month with a DJ, free giveaways and various awards for participants.

For any women hoping to get involved, a separate fundraiser associated with Movember called The MOVE Campaign allows individuals to pledge they will live a healthier, more active lifestyle while also raising funds and awareness for men’s health, according to the Movember website.