Filed under Campus Life, Life

Facebook has created a tool that allows users to ignore their exes

Seeing your old flame on social media can be one of the worst aspects of a breakup, or as this generation calls it, the end of a “committed” hookup, whatever you want to call it, as long as no one caves in and calls it a “relationship.”

To solve this, Facebook has released a new feature that allows you to see less of your exes, without them ever knowing you turned the feature on.

Up until now, there was no easy or clear way to see less of an ex on your newsfeed, unless you would unfriend or block him or her.

In some cases these measures could be unnecessary, especially if you decided to “stay friends.”

“When someone sets their relationship status to ‘single,’ they will be prompted by Facebook to try out the ‘take a break’ tool,” according to Forbes Magazine’s website.

Most students don’t know about this new feature and don’t think it is helpful when going through a breakup,  like sophomore Mara Carini.

“I think it’s a silly feature,” Carini said. “It’s said to aid someone during a rough coping period post-breakup, but what is untagging yourself from a picture with your ex going to do for you when you run into them on the streets or at a party?”

Sophomore Siobhan Murray agreed with Carini.

“I think it may be helpful for some people, but I think it’s a little over the top in terms of getting over your ex,” Murray said.  

Sophomore Chad Leonard thinks the feature could be useful in some cases.

“I think it will be helpful for people going through breakups if they are still trying to stay on a friendly level with some minimal contact,” Leonard said.

He said he thinks Facebook is now a part of modern-day relationships.

“Facebook definitely has influences on people’s relationships,” Leonard said.

“Everyone is so concerned about their next profile picture with their spouse or showing off the things that they do together,” he said.

“It’s almost like they care more about what others think about the relationship instead of what is actually going on [in the relationship],” Leonard said.

Carini and Murray both agree Facebook shouldn’t be such a big part of a relationship.

“I think Facebook plays a funny role in relationships.,” Carini said.

“Just take the saying ‘Facebook official’, as if your relationship wasn’t official or real without Facebook’s publication.”

Carini believes that relationships are no one’s business but his or her own.

“I tend to avoid posting relationships on Facebook not only because I don’t think it’s necessary for everyone to know, but it just makes breakups into these monumental moments on your timeline, when in reality people change and move on. Shit happens,” she said.

Murray commented on the distinction between reality and the virtual world.

“Facebook has no influence over relationships,” she said. “I think they try and I think people fall into that trap but Facebook is the internet and this is real life … That’s just a fact.”

This feature is currently being tested with primarily mobile users, and as feedback is received, they will introduce it to all users, according to Forbes Magazine.

The ex tool is part of an “ongoing effort to develop resources for people who may be going through difficult moments in their lives,” according to Facebook’s newsroom.

This feature will be optional and can be found in the Facebook help center.