Vermont Law Partnership

Vermont Law has decided to partner with several historically black colleges in order to expand racial and ethnic diversity in the legal profession, according to a press release put out by Vermont Law School Feb. 4.

Ê

The press release announced the partnership with Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio, and both Morehouse College and Spelman College in Atlanta, Ga.

Ê

Each of the partnerships will benefit the schools individually with specific goals in mind, according to the press release.  

Ê

“The agreement with Central State University, for example, is specifically designed to attract prospective students to the JD (Juris Doctor)/Master of Environmental Law and Policy and the JD/Master of Energy Regulation and Law programs at Vermont Law School,” according to the press release.

Ê

The partnerships with Morehouse College and Spelman College aim to generally facilitate admission of qualified students to law school, specifically the Vermont Law School, according to the release.

Ê

“At Vermont Law, we believe that we should be training the next generation of leaders who will make a difference in their communities and in the world,” Shirley Jefferson, dean of student affairs and diversity at Vermont Law, said in the release.

Ê

“These are colleges and universities with long histories of promoting racial justice and equality, and we are proud to partner with them,” Jefferson said.

Ê

Vermont Law, which is located in South Royalton, Vt., and was established in 1973, offers law degrees in Energy Law, Environmental Law and many other areas, according to the Vermont Law website.

Ê

It has been ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the U.S. Newsrankings for environmental law every year since 1991, and it has been ranked No. 1 for 16 of those 23 years, according to the website.

Ê

Vermont Law’s primary goal is to educate students in a diverse community that fosters personal growth and that enables them to attain outstanding professional skills and high ethical values with which to serve as lawyers and environmental and other professionals in an increasingly technological and interdependent global society, according to their mission statement.

Ê

The partnership is a project that will hopefully extend Vermont Law’s mission to create a much more diverse legal system. The project plans to ease the application and admission processes, while still making it rigorous for students, according to the press release.

Ê

“In the fall of each year, admissions counselors will travel to partner schools to meet with prospective students and provide insight regarding Vermont Law and its joint degree programs,” according to the press release.

Ê

“To participate in the partnership, applicants must have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.2 and a strong showing on the LSAT. If they are accepted, students will receive scholarships from $5,000 up to full tuition for their first two semesters at Vermont Law,” according to the release.