Margaret Cho Headed to UVM

Comedian Margaret Cho is coming to UVM on October 9th.

“Margaret is comedy’s most fearless superhero” – Mary Kaye-Schilling, Entertainment Weekly

Following on the heels of her most recent Notorious C.H.O. tour, CD and movie release, Margaret Cho launched her brand new Revolution Tour this past spring to sold-out audiences. The Chicago Sun Times heralded the show as “Her strongest show yet!” With the same unbridled, no holds-barred humor, Margaret now tackles the axis of evil, her travels through Thailand’s red light district, the explosion of child birth, bartering sex for household chores, revolutionizing your self-esteem, the joy of bodily functions, her loser ex-boyfriend, and of course, her

world-famous mother, plus much more that cannot be printed. The initial dates for the Revolution Tour ran through June. Margaret began the second and final leg of the tour on August 30. She hits the University of Vermont’s Patrick Gym on Thursday, October 9.

Margaret Cho is a one-of-a-kind phenomenon, with a diverse and fervently loyal audience that includes gays and lesbians, Asian Americans, women, people of color, college students, comedy fans and basically anyone who has ever felt invisible. Great comics like Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and Richard Pryor all paved her way, but Margaret has a distinctive, outrageous, hilarious, individualistic and ultimately empowering personal voice.

Margaret started performing stand-up comedy at age 16. In 1994 she starred in her own sitcom, “All -American Girl,” which featured television’s first Asian American family. In 1999, Cho’s groundbreaking smash-hit one-woman show I’m The One That I Want played off Broadway, toured the country and became a best selling book and a feature film that grossed more per print than any film in history ($1.4 million with only nine prints). 2001 marked the launch of a 37 city tour for Margaret’s second show, Notorious C.H.O. Notorious C.H.O. culminated with a concert at Carnegie Hall which was taped for a double-sided CD release in 2002 and a second feature film. Both Notorious C.H.O. and I’m The One That I Want have recently been the #1 and #3 top selling stand-up comedy DVD’s at Amazon.com.

Margaret was recently honored by The National Organization for Women (NOW) with the organization’s 2003 Intrepid Award. She has also received awards from GLAAD, Lambda Legal, the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) and the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) for making a significant difference in promoting equal rights for all, regardless of race, sexual orientation or gender identity.

On Thursday, October 9, Margaret will be performing live at UVM’s Patrick Gym. The show is free to UVM students, faculty, and staff, and a limited number of tickets are still available at The Department of Student Life on the 4th Floor of the Billings Student Center. A limited number of tickets are available for purchase by the general public at www.ticketweb.com. The show starts at 9PM, with doors at 8PM.

Immediately afterward, UVM’s own The Flo’ will be performing a free live show in Billings North Lounge at 11:30PM. The show boasts the student-favorite band, free food, and an Apple iPod digital music player giveaway.

– Press Release