Sorority supsension lifted

The interim suspension that was placed on sorority Delta Delta Delta by UVM was lifted Jan. 13, according to Patrick Brown, director of Student Life.

The sorority was placed on suspension after three intoxicated students were taken by ambulance to Fletcher Allen Hospital Dec. 7 while on their way to a sorority event in Charlotte, according to Vermont State Police.

The suspension was lifted because “the Police report did not find the chapter responsible for the individual behavior,” Brown said.

While they were placed on interim suspension, the Delta Delta Delta sorority was required to stop all organization related activities, Brown said.

The students, who were members of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, were on their way to a winter formal event at the Old Lantern in Charlotte at 7:30 p.m. via a chartered bus, state police said.

The bus driver became concerned about the intoxicated students before their arrival at the venue in Charlotte.

Rides were secured for the sorority members upon arrival at the parking lot, Maurice Lamothe patrol sergeant, said in a Burlington Free Press article.

The designated driver called police when the students got sick near U.S. 7 and F-5, Lamothe said.

Rescue officials stated that the students were transported to and treated at Fletcher Allen Hospital. Shelburne, Charlotte and Vergennes rescue squads responded to the scene with ambulances, the Burlington Free Press article said.

Both Burlington and UVM Police were alerted in addition to the Vermont Liquor Control investigators, Lamothe said.