State Race for House Reps Heats Up

The left side of the political spectrum is heating up as the race for State Representatives in Chittenden County continues. Democrats Tony Gierzynksi and Nancy Kirby are trying to knock out Progressive incumbents Dave Zuckerman and Bob Kiss.

Incumbent Zuckerman has been state representative for Chittenden County since 1996. A UVM alum, Zuckerman has been engaged in local Burlington politics since the early nineties.

Zuckerman has worked to kill a bill restricting students’ voting rights and has worked on a number of issues including affordable housing, universal healthcare and environmental concerns.

“There are many projects I’m working on right now,” said Zuckerman.

“Medical marijuana is one of them. People who are extremely ill want me to put this together. I worked to get this passed in the House, stretching across party lines, but it was killed in the Senate. I will continue to work hard on the bill until it passes.”

Zuckerman is also working on issues that concern UVM students directly, including tuition and housing.

“I’ve supported a increased budget,” said Zuckerman.

“I’ve also supported the idea of denser housing in town. UVM should also make more apartment-style housing.

“For both students and non-students, there are housing issues surrounding health and safety. We need to work with the city government to eliminate unsafe housing.”

Zuckerman doesn’t want students to just remember his politics when they go to the polls on Nov. 5.

“I have an extremely high regard for democracy,” said Zuckerman. “Everyone should have more open and truthful dialogue.

UVM Professor Tony Gierzynski is in his eleventh year of teaching in the Political Science department, where he specializes in American politics, campaign finance reform, parties and elections.

Gierzynski has helped states work on campaign finance reform laws, including Albuquerque, NM, the only state with mandatory spending limits.

For Gierzynski, his top issue is education.

“I’ll be forceful, and more of an advocate for higher education, along with elementary and secondary education,” said Gierzynski.

For UVM students, he’s going to focus on making education a top priority in Montpelier.

“We need greater support, making it a top priority with no cuts,” said Gierzynski. “We can re-prioritize the budget to allocate money to education. We can get more resources to help pay. We need more state support to lower tuition.”

Another concern of Gierzynski’s is the job market in Vermont.

“We need to improve the job market,” said Gierzynski. “Once students get out, we need to have a strong economy that will best serve everyone.”

Bob Kiss has been a Vermonter since 1971, and was involved in human and low-income services in the non-profit sector for 25 years before becoming a state rep in 2000.

Kiss believes there are many issues that concern students, but especially quality of life and housing issues.

“It’s more of a local issue, but we need to work with the town and the students to avoid an us versus them approach to the housing situations downtown,” said Kiss.

“I’ve been on some walks through the neighborhoods with the neighbor action program. We need to create dialogue between neighbors.”

Another concern of Kiss’ is the tuition rate for both in-state and out-of-state students.

“It’s no easy answer,” said Kiss. “Will we be able to find the money? We should develop additional resources, and do things differently.”

Kiss wants students to remember the idea of the Independent party when going to the polls.

“We will add an independent voice to the process, which is more important than ever right now,” said Kiss.

Nancy Kirby found her interest in politics in an unusual way- on an eighth grade field trip to Montpelier.

“We went down to the capitol with our social studies teacher, and got to see the representatives work and see how the law worked,” said Kirby.

This is Kirby’s first political race, but she has been involved with PTO at her children’s schools. A native Vermonter, Kirby was born and raised in the Old North End.

“My heart and my feet are in Burlington,” said Kirby.

Kirby’s main concerns are focused around housing issues, the environment, education and healthcare.

“I’m really concerned about Burlington and Vermont,” said Kirby. “The more trees we cut down, the worse the air quality is. I don’t want this to turn into an L.A.!”

Healthcare is another concern of Kirby’s, who has friends who travel all the way up to Canada to buy things because prescriptions are too expensive here.

“Crime is another big issue here,” said Kirby. “I literally board up my store every night.”

A concern directed at UVM students is the housing situation.

“We have to make students get to know us, because we’re their neighbors,” said Kirby. “I’m here, and I make them feel at home.

“The quality of housing is also an issue. There are some landlords who only care about getting the most rent out of these students, and not about the quality of the housing. I’ve written letters to landlords on the behalf of my neighbors. I do care.”

Kirby wants students to remember that if one works hard enough, one can succeed. “Dreams do come true, but you have to want them to happen,” said Kirby. “I want to be your voice.”