Report shows drug use in decline

Reports of drug and alcohol violations are on the decline at UVM.

UVM’s annual Clery Report, published Sept. 28, cites evidence that shows drug and alcohol violations are on the decline when compared to years prior.

The Clery Report requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to retain and reveal information about crime that takes place on and near their respective campuses.

Professor of English Susan Marie Harrington said she believes violations are on the decline, but is still skeptical of what the data is actually reporting.

“I’ve heard [Annie Stevens] report statistics that UVM students have higher national rates of alcohol and drug use,” Harrington said. However, she said she’s “not sure if it’s actual use… or rates of getting in trouble for it.”

First-year Aidan Delaney said he thinks drinking at UVM is less of an issue than at other universities.

“I’ve visited different colleges; mainly, I’ve visited a friend at University of Massachusetts,” Delaney said. “It feels like, [when] compared to other New England schools, it’s lower [here].”

Sophomore Alyssa Zamjohn also said she believes drinking has gone down during her time at UVM.

However, “the places you live in change how you see it,” Zamjohn said.

Sophomore Yonatan Kulessa, an RA, said drinking is a chronic activity at UVM.

“It’s something that goes down every single weekend,” Kulessa said.

Although, he also made it clear that drinking may be dependent on where you live on campus.

“[It’s] not common in wellness programs, just dorms,” Kulessa said. “It’s the most common thing we have to deal with. If there’s an instance that comes up while on duty, it’s either alcohol or weed.”

Junior Erin Poll said she doesn’t believe UVM has a drinking problem.

“Literally every college has a drinking problem,” Poll said. “The drinking culture [at UVM] is different because there aren’t many 18+ places to go out to.”

“Here,” she said, “the idea of going out on the weekend is more about going to a party than it is going downtown.” Sophomore Samantha Sullivan says she hasn’t seen any decrease during her time.

“I haven’t really noticed a difference,” Sullivan said. “It has stayed the same; there’s not a big party culture.”

In addition to this, she said drinking at UVM is more of a small group activity rather than a large one.

Possessing and consuming alcohol on UVM campus is prohibited even if the student is 21 years old, according to UVM’s Alcohol and Drug Policy.

This rule was made to comply with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989, according to UVM’s policy.