High-profile basketball recruit looks to begin season

The men’s basketball team has had great success recruiting over the past few seasons, bringing in immense talent.

Redshirt sophomore guard Ernie Duncan and junior guards Trae Bell-Haynes and Cam Ward are all examples of players who have excelled for the Catamounts.

This season, UVM has brought in one of its highest profile recruits in years: first-year forward Anthony Lamb.

The 18-year-old player from Rochester, New York had a player profile in ESPN’s annual Top 100 list for incoming first-year players.

Lamb, a highly-touted prospect last fall, was recruited by programs like Siena College, Stony Brook University and Xavier University, according to ESPN.com.

Coming out of high school, the 6-foot-6 first-year was ranked No. 86 in the nation at his position, according to ESPN rankings. Last fall, Lamb committed to playing basketball here in Burlington.

“I saw a great opportunity here, with the team they had,” he said.

Lamb picked up basketball at a young age.

“Going into eighth grade is where I got serious,” he said. “My [Amateur Athletic Union] program [the Albany City-Rocks] allowed me to get to the level I wanted to be at.”

The program produced many great players, most notably NBA stars Tobias Harris and Jimmer Fredette, according to team records.

“My AAU coach helped me [get to] where I want to be,” Lamb said, crediting the City-Rocks and their staff with his current success.

Playing for Greece Athena High School in Rochester, Lamb averaged 30 points and 17 rebounds per game, according to UVM athletics.

Lamb has adjusted well to the D1 level thus far, scoring 25 points in a recent exhibition game against the University of Quebec-Montreal Oct. 29, according to UVM athletics.

“He kinda does it all,” manager junior Derryk O’Grady said. “He can shoot the three, drive to the basket and finish in the post. He is wicked athletic and strong. For an 18-year-old, he is tough, which Coach [Becker] loves.”

In addition to scoring baskets, Lamb is known for his rebounding ability.

“He has long arms and a relentless attitude,” Becker said. “He is very effective at rebounding the basketball.”

The first-year forward worked hard in high school to be the player he is, spending long hours in the gym, which has carried over into his career at Vermont, Lamb said.

“His work ethic is impressive,” Becker said. “He is [at Pat- rick Gym by] 6 a.m. everyday.”

Lamb has found motivation for excellence from his desire to win championships.

“He isn’t worried about his stats as much as winning; he is all about winning,” Becker said. “His ultimate goal is winning a national championship. [It] would be tremendous if he could help us do that.”

Lamb’s expectations for the team are very high.

“I expect us to win the America East championship and to go deep into the NCAA tournament,” he said when asked about his expectations for the season.

As for the forward’s role in the program’s future, the team has high hopes that Lamb could be the missing piece to the puzzle.

“He could be a go-to guy we haven’t had in awhile,” Becker said. “Looking down the road, we see a point where he could be the face of this program.”

Lamb and the Catamounts begin their quest for a championship Nov. 12 in Hamden, Connecticut as they take on Quinnipiac University.