The Consortium for Ecological Living: Striving for Sustainability

As the kickoff article for this new environmental forum column, I thought that it would be appropriate to introduce CEL, one of the participating student groups. The Consortium for Ecological Living, otherwise known as CEL, is pronounced like a living cell in biology. We are a recognized SGA student organization with many partners in the community and on campus. CEL is committed to ecological design and sustainable living and has been since our conception 7 years ago at the culmination of Dr. John Todd’s first class here at UVM. Dr. John Todd is a world famous ecologist and known as the father of ecological design, as well as the inspiration for this organization. We further our mission starting with education, both of ourselves and the community. This starts through holistic thinking, research of new techniques, and sharing information. Since no one will install a wind power generator or Living Machine without knowing the benefits of it first, there needs to be a voice behind the facts.

On campus our consortium strives to fulfill our vision of an ecologically sound campus; with all new construction as green as possible, all energy derived from natural means, and all resources found naturally and locally. As we all know UVM is better than a lot of places, and we are lucky to have an administration supporting some of these ideas, but that has not always been the case and may change in the future. CEL makes our voices heard in Waterman and the Physical Plant department to make sure that the environmental mission statement is backed by students’ voices in an organized, consistent manner. If we do not organize behind these goals, there will be nothing accomplished. It is not enough to go to class and learn if there is no application and involvement in the community in which we live.

Activities range from discussions at meetings regarding any range of topics, guest speakers, field trips, or participating in campus committees- making decisions on the actions that UVM will take. Our organization has worked in conjunction with many local non-profit organizations in the area of ecological design either volunteering our time on their project or exchanging knowledge. Recently we have visited the Searsburg Wind Farm in southern Vermont, a farm converting cow manure to power by way of methane, and the McNeil Power plant, all sources of renewable energy. Many projects are hands on, in fact, already this semester we organized learning work days to work on a straw bale house in Underhill, VT. Straw bale construction, using straw as insulation and walls, is an example of alternative building technique which is ecologically friendly.

If you are interested in renewable energy, alternative building, integration of nature and society, or just want to help create a green revolution, join us. CEL’s meetings are every Tuesday at 7:00 pm in the Student Club Space in the basement of Billings Student Center. All are welcome to attend and contribute to our organization.

Jessica S. Clark, 2004 CEL President

If you have questions about this column or would like to participate in this environmental educational forum, please email Tiffany at [email protected].