Maya Angelou to Come to Campus

On March 28, Maya Angelou will be visiting campus to speak at the Patrick Gymnasium at 8 pm.

Sponsored by the Senior Class Council, Angelou’s presentation is the senior class gift to the UVM community this year.

Last year the Senior Class Council started a tradition called the Speaker Series to replace giving a physical gift to the university.

The Speaker Series includes having a prominent speaker come to campus, whose presentation is associated with the graduating class.

Last April Spike Lee spoke at Ira Allen Chapel as part of the Speaker Series.

Currently, the Senior Class Council is trying to raise money to fund Angelou’s visit. Her presentation costs approximately $40,000 and the Senior Class Council hopes to raise about $13,000. One way of donating is online, at www.uvm.edu/class2003.

Other fundraising efforts in the future include a senior celebration called “2003 Hours Until Graduation” at ShaNaNa’s downtown on February 27.

During Senior Week, the week after finals, a variety of activities will take place to raise money for Angelou’s visit.

Among the activities planned for Senior Week include; community service events, a Senior Ball at Quarry Hill Club, a commencement toast, and drive-in movie nights.

Money raised is being kept track of by the paper thermometer outside of Cook Commons.

Members of Senior Class Council are enthusiastic about their choice of speaker this year, and efforts to fund the visit.

“I’m really excited to hear Angelou speak,” said Jamie Larson, member of the Gift Committee. “She’s a wonderful, influential person who’s bringing

everyone together.”

“The gift is important because it gives an understanding of what it means to give back to the school.” saud Jillian Giardina, Senior Class Council President.

Sarah Schoolcraft emphasized how contributing financially helps gain an appreciation of a UVM education.

“We’re really encouraging seniors to donate because the value of your UVM degree is also measured by the alumni that give.”