Sorority returns to campus

WALKER SULTZBACH
The Vermont Cynic Members of the sorority interest group that formed the Alpha Theta chapter of Kappa Delta craft at the Redstone Lofts Nov. 12, 2013.

A group of 85 girls have come together in the reestablished sorority, Kappa Delta.

In early 2014, in what junior and then Kappa Delta President Sierra Thompson called “beautiful irony,” the national Kappa Delta sorority put a bid to UVM.

In March, Kappa Delta reestablished UVM’s Alpha Theta chapter.

This is the first time the chapter has been at UVM since 1937, according to the chapter’s website.

“I’m happy that Kappa Delta has come to UVM because without them, I wouldn’t have found a place in the other sororities,” first-year member Carly Bristol said.

Kappa Delta sorority was the best time of her life, Thompson said.

The establishment of the chapter came after the creation of a sorority interest group in the fall of 2013.

This was a group of women whose goal was to bring another sorority to campus, she said.

“We have a rare opportunity to make a name for ourselves and create something of our own,” Thompson said.

“We have a completely clean slate to be whoever we want to be,” she said.

As a new sorority, recruitment was an “exciting challenge,” junior and current President Maddie Woods said.

Leadership roles switched Nov.9. Woods has been with the sorority since it first came to campus.

“We had an adviser guiding us through the process,” she said. “We did a good job  of putting everything together in such a short amount of time.”

Thompson expressed both sadness and excitement for the sorority’s new leaders.

“I’m really proud of these girls, and I’ll cry like a baby when I pass the torch,” Thompson said.

Kappa Delta is dedicated to community service and leadership opportunities.

The sorority prides itself on a confidence coalition, established by the national chapter in 2009, Thompson said.

“Their platform is confidence, and I already feel that my confidence has been lifted,” Bristol said.

As for the future, the girls have a positive outlook.

“It’s really nice that we’re still establishing ourselves on campus so we can make it what we want it to be,” first-year member Sarah Long said.

The sorority’s motto is to “strive for what is honorable, beautiful and highest,” according to UVM’s Greek Life website.