Men’s soccer wins conference championship 

UVM men’s soccer won against Binghampton University 1-0. OLIVER POMAZI/The Vermont Cynic

[Updated 8:55 p.m. Nov. 15]

For the first time in eight years, the UVM men’s soccer team has won the America East Championship and is going to the NCAA Tournament.

On Sunday afternoon, the Catamounts defeated Binghamton University 1-0, after junior forward Brian Wright scored his 10th goal of the season after an assist by sophomore attacking midfielder Jaime Miralles.

The game was tightly contested, with both UVM and Binghamton hitting the post once, and with both goalkeepers making several big saves.

Sophomore goalkeeper Greg Walton thought that scoring the first goal was crucial to getting the win.

“I knew coming to the game that I was going to have make some big plays early, because we haven’t won a game this year when we’ve been scored on first,” Walton said.

With the win, Walton earned his fourth shutout of the season.

Walton also gave a lot of credit to his backline, especially for their hard work in set pieces.

Head coach Jesse Cormier was full of praise for the crowd. “I’ve never seen so many people be so interested and so involved in the program and in the game, and I just appreciate it,” Cormier said. “I think it’s great for the game of soccer in Vermont, and I really appreciate the effort people made to come out and support us.”

“I think he’s the best striker, not just in the league, but one of the best in the country”, Cormier said about Wright. “He’s so dynamic, so skillful, so quick. When he gets his opportunities, he buries them.”

After the game, Wright was awarded the America East Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player award.

Wright can add this accolade to what is becoming a lengthy list of awards. In 2013, Wright was named the America East Rookie of the Year and in 2014 he was named to the America East All-Conference First Team, according to UVM Athletics.

After today’s win, Wright now has a team-leading 27 points on the year, with 10 goals and seven assists, both team highs.

Other tournament accolades were given to junior midfielder Jackson Dayton, sophomore midfielder Stefan Lamanna and senior defender Jack Shea.

Somewhat of an unsung hero to the Catamounts’ triumph was sophomore attacking midfielder Miralles. The Spaniard worked hard in the midfield and it was his through ball which found Wright, who put it in the back of the net.

With this win, UVM secured an automatic spot at the 2015 NCAA tournament. Their opponent will be announced Monday at 1 p.m. on NCAA.com, according to UVM athletics.