UVM Retired Scholars Award

Five retired UVM professors received the UVM Retired Scholars Award, which provides fully retired professors from UVM with up to $2,500 to pursue a scholarship or research project, according to University Communications.

The award is granted by the UVM Association of Retired Faculty and Administrative Officers.

“I work at the library and work with a lot of emeriti,” senior Darren Schibler said.  Emeriti professors are retired from their profession, but indefinitely retain an honorary title.

“I think it’s great that professors emeriti have an opportunity to continue their work even after they retire.”

This year, recipients included Thom J. McEvoy, Carolyn Elliott, David Huddle, William Mann and Luther H. Martin.

McEvoy, who retired in 2011 from his position as Professor of Extension Forestry, plans to publish a third edition of his book “Introduction to Forest Ecology and Silviculture”, according to University Communications.

The award will cover some of the publishing expenses, such as editing and proofreading, McEvoy said.

“Those can be major expenses, especially editing,” he said. “It’s 2,500 less than I’d have to pay originally-it is a not insignificant amount of money.”

Elliott, a retired professor of political science, used the award to fund a trip to Hyderabad, India, to present her seminar paper: “Saturation Politics: A Tenuous Way out of Clientelism.”

“The award will reimburse my ticket to India and enable me to devote more funds to my next project in India, which is a study of women’s self-help groups,” she said.

According to University Communications, Huddle, a retired English professor, is presenting a paper on “Powerhouse,” a short story by Eudora Welty at the 2014 Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference in Seattle.

Like McEvoy, Mann plans to use the award to publish works. Mann, professor emeritus of philosophy, will publish a volume of essays written by international scholars: “Augustine’s ‘Confessions:’ Philosophy in Autobiography.”

He will also complete and publish a collection of his own essays: “God, Modality, and Morality”, which focus on philosophical theology, according to University Communications.

Martin, professor emeritus of religion, also plans to publish his work. With the help of the award, Martin plans to finish and publish a collection of his essays in a volume entitled “Deep History, Secular Theory: Scientific Studies of Religion.”

The award is granted each year to professors emeritus who submit a letter of application summarizing the project, its goals and its expenses, to the Retired Faculty and Administrative Officers Executive Board, according to the RFAO’s award description.

The award may be used to cover a number of costs, including transportation to conferences, preparation for a musical, theatrical or dance performance, or the cost of obtaining data or research materials, according to University Communications.

Elliot said that she is grateful for the award.

“I very much appreciate the University’s recognition of retired faculty continuing to do scholarly work that is deserving of support,” she said.