Meet your candidates: Kesha Ram

What is your number one issue if you are elected to office?

It’s a draw: diversity and the environment are collectively my number one issue. By addressing these concerns through SGA, we can enfranchise more passionate students and better match the goals of UVM as a whole. As a leader in the creation of the Committee on Diversity, Equity and Environmental Ethics, I am confident that we can hit the ground running next year.

What experiences here at UVM do you feel qualify you for holding the office of SGA president?

In my two years in SGA, I have served on the Academic Affairs and Livable Wage Committees and was also chair of the Environmental Subcommittee. I have had much interaction with administrators through my service on the Presidential Commission on Racial Diversity and the Davis Center Advisory Board. I have also addressed student needs as founder of the Honors College Diversity Task Force and captain of the Eco-Reps Program.

In what ways do you feel being active in student government is beneficial to yourself and the University?

It gives me great pleasure to serve the student body for those who may otherwise be voiceless in the debate. I have had the great fortune of seeing how my actions in SGA touch the lives of other students. For example, I am working on creating an international student seat so that segment of the student body, which has deep concerns, but no outlet for redress, can add to the collective decision-making process.

What should we do with the bus on weekend nights to deal with some of the problems?

Because it is such a complex problem confounded by issues of student safety, there must be a multi-faceted approach to improving the situation. Introducing a third bus to reduce crowding and chaos is a good start. This must be accom-panied by consistent peer-to-peer pressure for those who continue to pose a risk to the driver and other passengers. It comes down to this unfortunate ultimatum: love it or lose it.