Memefest 2004 Visual Arts Competition

Art and design students: Prick up your ears!

Memefest 2004 Visual Arts competition is approaching shortly. Blogs, town halls, and smart mobs. Seems everywhere you turn these days people are speaking up. The silhouettes in the audience are grabbing those microphones and claiming a little “I’m Mad As Hell” time.

No wonder then that designers and artists and visual communicators of all stripes are wading into the fray and lending their talents to the great collective push to reclaim the soapbox.

This year, Memefest wants to explore the motivations, the methods, and the particular madness of designers who pass up cash and glory in order to spend their free time promoting social movements.

To that end, the 2004 Visual Arts Competition is seeking politically-engaged design and visual work from artists, animators, graphic designers and multimedia manipulators.

Deadline for submissions is May 20th 2004. Get the details at www.memefest.org. A little background about Memefest:

Memefest is the International Festival of Radical Communications. It’s goal is to encourage Design, Communications, and Sociology students — most of whom are being groomed for careers in advertising — to turn their talents against the hand that may end up feeding them.

Students are challenged to submit visual work, multimedia pieces and essays which grapple with market culture or try to redirect communications strategies towards the creation of positive social change.

There is also a special category open to non- students as well. The submitted works are then commented on and judged by a panel that includes leading radical thinkers, visual artists, and communications professionals from around the globe.

Memefest occurs almost 100% online and last year our virtual gallery was filled up with 250 entries from 26 countries. Memefest crawled out of Slovenia’s academic and artistic mix in 2002 as a response to the country’s cultural environment. Having been exposed to concentrated doses of branding and commercial information over the decade since their country embraced capitalism, the founders of Memefest decided it was time to make some space for a critical look at the beast that has been running wild.

Since this time, the crew that puts Memefest together has been growing, picking up media malcontents in Canada through Adbusters Media Foundation, and around the world through its website, www.memefest.org. The organizers of Memefest 2004 encourage you to check out more about the event and the guidelines now available at www.memefest.org

-Press Release