Crime Log: Feb. 12 – Feb. 15

Feb. 12

2:54 p.m.

A student in Mason Hall received two notes under their dorm room door. One had been sent last semester and one had been sent this semester. The notes were unsigned, and don’t appear to be related. The first didn’t appear to amount to anything, but the second one had sexual connotations to it. The investigation is open.

Feb. 13

9:51 p.m.

Police received a theft report from staff in Wills Hall. Someone had broken into a vending machine, and some candy had been stolen. Police couldn’t locate the thief. This remains an open investigation.

10:33 p.m.

Someone in Billings Hall called police to report a intoxicated person in the building. Police issued an alcohol ticket for underage drinking to the person.

Feb. 14

1:57 a.m.

Police issued a ticket for possession of marijuana to a person during a traffic stop on Williston Road. The vehicle had a rear tail light out, which initially caught the officer’s attention. When the officer arrived at the car, they smelled marijuana, and confiscated less than 2 grams from the individual.

“Under a certain amount of marijuana, instead of issuing criminal charges, we now can issue a civil ticket in Vermont, similar to an alcohol or speeding ticket,” Lt. Larry Magnant said.

8:15 p.m.

Marijuana smoke in Coolidge Hall set off the fire alarm. The fire department responded, and reset the alarm system. Police were able to find the students who caused the alarm, and took some drug paraphernalia. A report has been forwarded to the Center for Student Ethics & Standards.

Feb. 15

1:59 a.m.

A UVM student has been charged with tampering with facilities in Wills Hall. The student set off a fire extinguisher before being sent to ACT1, the 24-hour detoxification center on Pearl Street. The student will be arraigned in court on March 3, and a report has been forwarded to the Center for Student Ethics & Standards.