Local artist masks Burlington

An up and coming community of designers in downtown Burlington is ushering in a wave of innovation.

Generator is “a combination of artist studios, classroom, and business incubator focused on making things,” according to their website.

The artists and inventors of Generator are working with technology and mixing creativity with precision to create their work.

Eric Roy is an example of what becomes possible when mankind and machine work together.

Roy makes masks for a living and has dreams of expanding and opening a “haberdashery,” he said, which is a shop that sells custom men’s clothing.

The online clothing shop would accept orders for personalized garments for those with abnormal body shapes who have trouble fitting into retail sizes, Roy said.

He said he’s inspired by his own self-described “abnormal” body, and understands how hard it can be for people like him to find the right clothing.

Roy said he has been creating in Generator’s studio space for almost a year now and it has been nothing but beneficial.

The resources allow him to keep his personal touch, and enable him to manufacture in quantities that he had only ever dreamed of, Roy said.

3-D printers, laser technology, state-of-the art software, are all offered to the community at Generator,  but Roy said what takes the cake is the community itself, which is always happy to help and collaborate with anyone inside or outside Generator.

Where once an order of nine demo masks would have meant a week’s worth of work, Roy said the resources available through Generator let him accept such an order without worrying about clearing his schedule.

Roy’s not constricted by the area, he’s able to accept orders from people all over the country and thus can create connections anywhere, he said.

This community of designers is anything but exclusive, and they encourage anyone interested in joining to stop in for a visit anytime.

They’re open on the weekdays at 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on the weekend from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. with an open house every Thursday at 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Anyone interested can stop by and see what the artists are creating and ask questions, Roy said.