Shirt studio shines on

Phil Landry, graduate of Champlain college and owner of the Unknown Arts, prints in his studio on Marble St. Jan. 29. The studio has it’s own line of designs but people can submit their own custom art to be printed.

From delivery boy to owner, he climbed the ranks of a local business and has been working hard to make it grow.

Twenty-seven-year-old Phil Landry, a Champlain College alumnus became owner and operator of Unknown Arts Studio in January. He said he has been unofficially running it for a few months.

At the studio, located on Marble Avenue in Burlington, Landry produces silk screen printed T-shirts and sweatshirts, conceptualizing ideas and hand-printing everything himself.

“As a business major, I think it’s really inspiring that he owns his own company at such a young age,” sophomore Nicole Dulac said.

Landry, originally from Bennington County, attended McCann Technical School in North Adams, Massachusetts, he said, and then went to Champlain, graduating with a graphic design degree.

Landry said he then became acquainted with Unknown Arts completely by chance, and dropped his delivery driver job to work at Unknown Arts after striking up a conversation with the owners at the time.

He said he now runs the shop. This includes screen printing custom-order clothing as well as creating his own designs, all available online.

During previous summers there has been a sale cart on Church Street, although Landry said he has not decided whether or not if he is going to continue it.

The shirt that best represents the brand says “Believe: Champ.”

The shop “doesn’t lend itself to retail,” Landry said.  “We are mostly online and get a lot of orders for organizations.”

He has made shirts for Nectar’s, Red Square, Bolton Valley and Sangha.

Landry will occasionally donate his “tester” shirts, the ones he cannot sell, to those in need.

In compensation for the lack of a strong downtown presence, the shirts can be found in other shops, such as Apple Mountain and Burn Gallery.

Ultimately, Landry said he hopes for this to be his only job. He currently has a job at a larger screen print factory during the day and said he comes into the studio in the evenings to pursue his passion.

Landry would like to one day grow his business, hire employees, continue to collaborate with other artists and build relationships with people in the community.