Artists plan for Pine street event

The South End Art Hop will celebrate its 23rd anniversary Sept. 11- 13.

The Art Hop is a yearly event in the South End of Burlington where artists exhibit their work along with music, food and a runway fashion show.

Adam Brooks, the executive director of the South End Arts and Business Association, the organization behind the Art Hop, is excited for “the celebration of our community and the arts.” Brooks is the four-year standing executive director of the nonprofit.

SEABA handles registration starting in April. They match artists with over one hundred sites, curate exhibits, produce a program guide and update their online presence about the event.

The Art Hop consists of 500 artists in 110 sites. Each year, “about one-third of the artists are new,” Brooks said. Most artists are local, with a few from other states.

“About 98 percent are from Vermont,” Brooks said. “We have a few New York members, and one from Oregon this year selected through Zero Gravity.”

“The Art Hop is a great way to see what the community has been up to,” junior Nicole Dulac said.

There is a $45 fee for entering up to six pieces to the Art Hop, and about 250 people enter each year. Other participants will be located on sites along Pine Street. There is no commission and all profit stays with the artist.

Scottie Raymond, a spray-paint artist, said he is excited to be participating in the Art Hop this year.

“As much as I love showing my work, the excitement and magic of the Art Hop is about seeing everyone’s work,” Raymond said.

“We have a chance to come out of the woodwork and get out on Pine Street,” he said.

“It’s a chance to network, have your work seen so people know who you are and meet someone who might fall in love with your work,” Raymond said.

Other than art, there is food and music available at the event.

“We have twenty food trucks, serving everything from popcorn to lobster rolls,” Brooks said.

There are also mini-events that SEABA hosts at the Art Hop, including the Kid’s Hop, the Strut Fashion Show, which is the largest fashion show in the state and the Artist’s Market.

“The Art Hop grew after about 10 years, when buildings became vacant in the ‘80s,” Brooks said.

“Over the last 10 years it has become a popular and safe economic event,” he said.

In 2014, the South End Art Hop won a Seven Daysies award for Best Community Event/Festival.

Among artists to check out, Brooks said he is excited about Kevin Donegan, who works on indoor sculpture. Also, Tyler Vendituoli, who creates metal sculptures. Both artists are returning Art Hop contributors.

“My favorite part about the Art Hop is that one million dollars goes into the local economy,” Brooks said. “I love to hear someone say, ‘Art Hop is my best day’.”

“The most important effect of the Art Hop is the exposure,” he said.

“It’s an opportunity to open your studio, not work, and focus on the community,” Brooks said.v