Award-winning writer coming to VT

Burlington is welcoming a self-proclaimed “child freak.”

Terry Galloway will be in Burlington for a book reading and a play performance. Both works are based on her life experiences, with a focus on her homosexuality and losing her hearing as a child and regaining it as an adult. She will be reading from and talking about her memoir, “Mean Little Deaf Queer,” Thursday, April 9 at 7 p.m. at Phoenix Books.

The title is self-explanatory for the memoir; it is about how we determine why people like me matter, Galloway said. By sharing her experiences, the author provides a voice for disabilities.

“I like the way Galloway isn’t afraid to tell her story,” sophomore Nicole Dulac said. “Memoir writing is a part of the great explosion of democratic energy,” she said.

Galloway will also be performing “You Are My Sunshine,” a play about her experience in losing, then regaining her hearing ability. The performance will be held 8 p.m. April 11 at the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts. Galloway’s work centers on sharing her life experiences with others. 

“I have found that people who have a yearning often have an equally powerful sense of shame about their own stories,” Galloway said. “That’s why it’s good to write with others, so they can affirm. Other people often believe your story more than you.”

There is a $3 entry fee for the reading of Galloway’s memoir, which includes a $5 coupon off of her memoir.