Cats croon a cappella for MEDlife

The Grand Maple Ballroom was packed on Friday, March 25, with people awaiting a performance by the UVM Top Cats.   All the proceeds from the show went to support MEDlife, a group on campus that is devoted to bringing medicine, education and development to low-income families all over the world.   Dan Jenkins, senior and vice president of MEDlife, spoke about both the life changing and life saving cause of MEDlife and how construction of health clinics in underdeveloped areas can help reach out to local communities desperately in need of health care.   “It’s so refreshing to see an organization whose sole purpose is to save lives and reach out to people in need,” junior and membership officer/secretary for MEDlife Veronica Foelber said. The evening started with an opening performance by the newest coed acapella group on campus, Zest.   Before singing their first song of the night, “Brown Eyed Girl,” one of the members shared her excitement about being the opening act of the night. “Being in the presence of the Top Cats is so awesome,” she said. Zest elicited loud cheers with their rendition of “Grenade” by Bruno Mars and sent chills through the crowd with One Republic’s “Apologize.” The Top Cats delivered a performance that highlighted both their musical and comedic talent.   Members raced in from the back of the ballroom and jumped onto the stage barefoot and ready to start the show.   The interaction between the Top Cats and the members of the crowd kept everyone interested. The Cats performed Cee Lo Green’s “Forget You,” which turned out to be a real crowd pleaser.   They ended the show on a more serious note with “Fix You” by Coldplay to demonstrate their support for MEDlife.   “The closing song was really good and it helped focus everyone on why we were here, supporting MEDlife,” sophomore Hannah Lachance said. Overall, the audience was pleased with the event.   “I thought it was for a good cause, it was very entertaining and a good balance of sounds,” senior Ellen Pierce said.   The show ended with ample applause from the audience as the Cats exited the ballroom.