DJs bring good vibrations

Higher Ground was quickly swamped with throngs of people as they surged into the venue in preparation for the sold out Wolfgang Gartner & Tommy Trash concert Oct. 15.The night began with talented openers Charlie Darker and Bass Kleph, who utilized a wide variety of samples and managed to keep their songs from becoming repetitive or predictable. Charlie Darker received overwhelmingly positive feedback from the audience for his two tracks ?Bustah? and ?Anxiety.? Bass Kleph demonstrated the scope of his talent by including a revamped version of ?Zombie Nation? among his original work. However, lacking the lightshows, special effects and bass drops of Wolfgang and Tommy, Darker and Bass Kleph didn?t quite capture the audience?s attention as much as the headliners would.After a short break following Bass Kleph, black sheets were stripped from the stage, revealing a medieval cemetery complete with stone monoliths, a wrought iron fence, and fake torches. Thomas Olsen, aka Tommy Trash, stood in the middle of the courtyard and quickly started his set. The audience was whipped into a frenzy as he began with a sample from Michael Jackson?s ?Thriller? that, after a sizeable bass drop, developed into ?Reload,? a track from his collaboration with Sebastian Ingrosso and John Martin.The volume and intensity of the bass was never overwhelming, always enjoyable and not obnoxious, unlike many other electronic concerts. Still, the vibrations from the audience and the music were powerful enough to dislodge confetti that had been stuck to the ceiling from previous concerts, and music reverberating off the walls in the small venue gave the sensation of being surrounded by speakers. The temperature quickly rose in the audience as several hundred people mashed and surged together until everyone was soaked in sweat and spilled drinks. This continued for nearly two hours until Tommy Trash finished his set, his shoulder length hair matted and drenched in sweat. The break between him and Wolfgang was even less than between him and the openers, however, and before the audience had time for a smoke break Gartner was taking the stage.Gartner?s set seemed to be full of new music, although he still found time to play familiar classics like ?Illmerica? and even came back for an encore of his Beethoven?s 5th Symphony remix. His special effects included many of the same lasers and light shows that Trash used but also took advantage of a large projector screen behind his turntables that showed landscapes ranging from hellish, lava covered valleys to medieval castles. By the end of the night, the combination of euphoric music and borderline seizure-inducing special effects had made for an enthralled and satisfied audience.