Exhibit supports young artists

In honor of both the Flynn Theatre and BCA’s thirty-year presence in the Burlington community, the Amy E Tarrant Gallery on Main St. will exhibit the 30/30 Anniversary Print Project until Feb. 18. 

There were no guidelines or restrictions for what the artists created and none of the artists were paid for their work. 

Each print is like a gift from artists thankful for the support and opportunities that the BCA and Flynn have provided for them.  

“This to me really illustrates that these artists really value what we are doing very, very highly,” co-curator and gallery manager Nancy Abbott-Hourigan said. “We could never thank these artists enough, seeing how important it is to keep these programs alive…we don’t have deep pockets to pull endowments from.  We work everyday to create fundraising opportunities.”

Both traditional and non-traditional Vermont artists created the 30 prints on display at the exhibit.  

In a silent auction, the proceeds from each piece will support the youth education scholarship programs of the Flynn Center for Performing Arts and Burlington City Arts.

“The idea originated from our new executive director, John Killacky, whose intentions have been to form tighter partnerships with other art organizations,” Abbott-Hourigan said. 

“Collaboration with the BCA seemed like a very logical next step. They were are also celebrating 30 years this year.”

Contributing artists Gregg Blasdel, Jennifer Koch and Sumru Tekin coordinated much of the printmaking in BCA’s print studio.

While some of the prints embody printmaking in a traditional sense, varying textures and irregularities between color and paper highlight each artist’s unique method.

In bold, block-print ink, recent UVM graduate Grace Weaver depicts a woman combing out her long hair in her print.  

Although the piece is two-dimensional, the grainy impressions bring texture and depth to the image.

A print by Harry Bliss positions Bernie Sanders in a black and white landscape framed by beloved Vermont agriculture.  

Valerie Hird’s print “The Fifth Day III” is both abstract and introspective. She creates an image of a blue moon rolling into rivers of black and blue ink, separated by orange ground.

The print of a melting ice cream cone by the founders of Ben and Jerry’s embodies the creative and playful illustrations that advertise their ice cream empire.

The sale of each piece will enrich the arts community in Burlington by helping young, eager artists waiting to create.

The auction and closing reception will take place on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 5p.m.