Films with soul and awards

January is a film month. The Golden Globes just closed their bookings, the Academy Awards — 83rd edition — just announced their nominations and the Sundance Festival is in progress. It is also the month of speculations, contemplation and all sorts of assessment regarding who’s going to win what and why — opinions vary from person to person. In a way, the Golden Globes give people an opportunity to take a peek at the Oscars in terms of main categories like Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress and so on. If that is true, “The Social Network” might be the swan queen of 2010. It won the Golden Globe for Best Picture and it has over 10 nominations at the Oscars. The other nominations for Best Picture are: “Winter’s Bone,” “The King’s Speech,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “Black Swan,” “Toy Story 3,” “True Grit,” “Inception,” “The Fighter” and “127 Hours.” Michelle Williams might get Best Actress for “Blue Valentine” or the award might go to Annette Bening for “The Kids Are All Right,” which might also win Best Screenplay. Nicole Kidman is in the running for the role in “Rabbit Hole” and so are Natalie Portman, for “Black Swan,” and Jennifer Lawrence for “Winter’s Bone.” Colin Firth, for “The King’s Speech” or James Franco, for “127 Hours”, might get Best Actor. “Biutiful” might get Best Foreign Language Film. I’ve created an army of mights because that’s all one can do at this point. Regardless of who wins what, people should go see them all. I think it’s a good selection and there’s definitely some amazing acting within amazing stories to be seen. Almost all nominations for Best Documentary Feature premiered at the Sundance Film Festival: “Exit through the Gift Shop,” “Gasland,” “Restrepo” and “Waste Land.” I’ve only seen “Exit through the Gift Shop,” which I liked because it has an interesting narrative, which documentaries usually lack, while also keeping the truthfulness of a well-made documentary. My own curiosity is for who will get the award for Best Cinematography since, from where I stand, all the films look impressive. That being said, I’m certain that the awards for the main categories, such as Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor/ Actress and Best Screenplay, will surprise audiences and stir up conversation.