Hall wows with custom concert

Several hundred people came out to listen to Trevor Hall’s feel-good music at Higher Ground April 1.

Before Cas Haley opened, concertgoers lingered in the ballroom talking among themselves and taking pictures. People wore long skirts, tie dyed shirts and beanies – many of the crowd rocked dreads as well as feathers, facial piercings, gages and flannel. 

Haley went on at 8 p.m. and was accompanied by Hall’s band through most of his performance. Many people in the audience seemed as excited to see Haley as they were to see Hall. Haley developed a fan base in Burlington from previous performances, as did Hall when he opened for Matisyahu in 2009.

Hall came out a little after 9 p.m. wearing a thinly striped maroon three-quarter button-down with his blond dreads tied up in a bun.

“Good evening Burlington,” he said as he idly picked at his guitar and waited for his band to get situated.

A couple of songs after the opening song “Sa Re Ga,” Hall threw the guitar pick he had been using out into the crowd, pulled another from his jean’s pocket, and continued playing.

Hall personalized many of the lyrics in songs such as “Unity” and “The Rascals Have Returned,” making references to the hills of Vermont and the popular restaurant Penny Cluse Caf?? in downtown Burlington. 

During a guitar solo by Aaron Dugan, Hall took a camera recorder from a girl near the front of the audience and walked around the stage with it, filming the band and the audience before returning the camera.

After a song accompanied by Haley, who was brought back on stage, the band took a water break and laughed with each other. 

Dugan, who had yet to acknowledge he was onstage in front of hundreds of people, played randomly and tuned his guitar. Hall threw another guitar pick into the crowd and spoke with the people in the front row.

“It’s always so nice coming [to Burlington] – you guys are really wonderful and attentive and supportive,” Hall said.

Hall played a final song, “Here With You,” waved goodbye and left the stage just after 10 p.m. Within a couple of minutes, he was brought back onstage for an encore.

Asking for the crowd’s permission, Hall chose to play a new song that he said was inspired by a place in India. Though the crowd cheered in support, Hall caught disapproval in the eyes of one concertgoer. 

“I saw you roll your eyes,” he said jokingly. “Just go to the bathroom; it’ll be over by the time you’re done.”

After Hall’s new song, the crowd continued to cheer for more, suggesting songs and complimenting him. Hall brought back out the band for two more songs and left the stage half an hour later.

“From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for coming out,” Hall said as he bowed his head. “Thank you so much.”