Hearts don’t skip a beat

“It’s very simple when it comes to music because you get to be yourself,” Heartbeat singer Dana Herz said.  

Heartbeat is a musical group made up of Israeli and Palestinian youth who use their talents to share their experiences of conflict in the Middle East. 

They also work to create a message of peace through collaborating on their music. 

“We want our audience to hear the musicians and open their minds and their hearts.

“[We want them] to really understand the life in Israel and Palestine that is often not fairly portrayed in western media,” UVM alumni and Heartbeat manager Avi Salloway said.

Heartbeat will perform Feb. 26 at 7:30 p.m. in the Ira Allen Chapel. 

The performance, sponsered by Hillel,  is free for UVM students. 

“We’re bringing together our most talented and dedicated musicians, using Heartbeat as a way to amplify their voices and become leaders in their communities,” Salloway said.

The musicians themselves range from 14 to 21 years old and have various levels of experience. 

“In short, you’re going to hear some empowered voices who are calling to justice through creative means,” Salloway said.

Once admitted to a chapter of the Heartbeat program in Israel, the musicians said they grow from writing music together and performing their original work.

“Heartbeat helped me to see more opinions about conflict and learn about other lives,” musician Moody Kablawi said. “It gave me opportunity to talk to other people and open up.”

Heartbeat’s music ranges in topics and also in language.

Many of the songs are a combination of Hebrew, Arabic and English, Salloway said.

Though Heartbeat’s music has a unique perspective, the band members said that they try to relate to their audience as much as possible.

“There is no political or religious message here, just a bunch of kids jamming together,” Hillel vice president junior Emily Goldhill said. “UVM loves a good jam band and they are really good.”

While it is primarily a concert, attendees are encouraged to bring their own instruments for a jam-style get together afterwards, she said. 

The Heartbeat group has worked with over 100 musicians throughout Israel and Palestine, Salloway said.

Some of the members touring this year have been a part of the project from the beginning, Salloway said.

Both Herz and Kablawi commented on how amazing it has been to work with and talk to kids who are so similar to and different from them. 

“I had no idea what to expect last year, but they were so good, that’s why I’ve taken on the project this year,” Goldhill said. “I realized how amazing and important it was.”

Heartbeat’s tour continues through Mar. 11, and includes stops throughout Pennsylvania and New York, as well as a performance at the U.S. Congress in Washington D.C.

The band’s performance on Feb. 26 will mark their second time performing at UVM

Heartbeat’s members said that they are very excited for their return to the campus.