Jenke Recordings promotes local muscians

Jenke Recordings is a Burlington-based record label that promotes 19 local artists. The label, which is handled by Tommy Alexander, is releasing a compilation album this month that will feature all of its artists. A compilation album is generally an excellent one: it showcases every artist’s best work. Every track should be a single. This is not the case with Jenke’s album, which sounds like 19 tracks thrown together with little thought or care put into many of them. While there are some clear standout songs on the album, such as Andy Lugo’s “Home,” Rajnii’s “Decisions” and Scott Mangan’s “The Weakness,” many of the songs fell flat. Brennan Smith’s “Talkin’ Earth Blues” was one of these: lacking a driving melody or lyrics that really fit together, the song failed to convey its message of sustainability and community in an appealing way. Some of the songs on the album, such as Erin Kvam’s “Her Eyes Dart Around,” were beautifully written and performed, but were far too long.  Alanna Grace Flynn’s “Lost in Time” is also well written but is so poorly mixed that it comes across as weak and fails to convey the warmth it has the potential to bring to the listener.  On the contrary, the standout tracks on the album make it worth listening to. The album is well designed in that it brings back the listener’s attention whenever it wavers. Andy Lugo’s “Home” is a gorgeous arrangement with a warm guitar progression that draws the listener in right off the bat.  Greg Alexander’s “Tall Grass Grows” is another standout – what the arrangement of the song lacks in conciseness, Alexander makes up for in his drive, poetic lyrics, exceptional guitar line and vocal ability.  Alexander is easily one of the most talented vocalists in the state. He has the ability to keep it simple, but it never sounds as if he is holding back. Joe Redding’s “Give Love to Get Love” is another worthwhile track. Redding owns his unique voice. If he was a less confident performer, Redding could sound cathartic or even whiney, but the way he uses his voice is far from that.  Redding blossoms into high notes and eases into the low ones in a style all his own. His lyrics are thoughtful and put together, while his guitar line, like Alexander’s, is just simple enough to be in the background and interesting enough to be noticed.  Rajnii’s “Decisions” is the quintessential jam song; laid-back, profound and beautifully simple.  Samara Lark is another gifted artist. While the lyrics to “More Than Gold” can be redundant and sometimes clichéd, Lark’s ability to grace each syllable with her jazzy trills and vibrato, as well as her belief in what she sings, make the lyrics overwhelmingly powerful.  Scott Mangan’s “The Weakness” is debatably the best track on the album. In a completely original style, Mangan creates a mix of electronica and rock with the lyrics of a singer/songwriter.  Mangan’s metaphorical, beautiful lyrics combined with his driving arrangement is a perfect match. While overall Jenke Recordings did not produce a great album, the stand-out tracks make it noteworthy.  The medley of styles is admirable; this label clearly takes risks with artists, as all the best labels do. These artists are the ones to watch and should be appreciated for their talents.  Jenke Recordings will celebrate the release of its album at Radio Bean on Saturday, Jan. 28.