John Mulaney brings ‘hilarious’ show

John Mulaney?s Labor Day comedy set in the Davis Center proved to be another successful installment of the annual comedy show run by UVM Program Board. Both longtime fans and first-time viewers could easily laugh at his unassuming and often self-deprecating humor.After the mysterious announcement a few weeks ago that Amy Schumer would not be performing in the show as originally planned, a development that the UVM Program Board did not comment on, many were wondering who would be her replacement, if there was to be one at all. The show started with a word of welcome from UPB, who announced Josh Rabinowitz as the first performer.These days, early exposure for comedians most often comes via Twitter, so it was both refreshing and disconcerting to hear a name without immediately being able to picture its companionate avatar. A quick Google search finds that Rabinowitz is present on Twitter, but doesn?t have a real ?Twitter presence,? as his tweets aren?t themselves jokes and rather mainly serve the purpose of communication. Rabinowitz?s set was impressive, featuring mostly observational jokes on topics such as navigating the harrows of today?s dating scene. Some of his most popular one-liners were: ?I?m more of a fetish than I am a man? and ?I find adults who have hamsters very off-putting.?After about 25 minutes, it was time for the headliner. Those familiar with John Mulaney?s work knew what to expect: mainly long-form jokes, often about his childhood and previous incidents with alcohol, musings on how his appearance doesn?t lead most to believe he would have a harried past with substance abuse, callbacks to jokes within the set and many ridiculous voices. The set started off with the expected comments on Burlington??A lot of people hate Phish, I don?t know if you know that, outside of Vermont,??and college in general. He devoted a lot of time talking to nearby audience members, commenting on their chosen career paths and where they grew up.?He was hilarious,? senior Shannon Switzer said. ?I love that he just started tearing apart Rutland without even knowing its reputation.?His sets always have an easy, slightly spontaneous feel, but there?s a noticeable difference in this fairly tailored performance than his Comedy Central special and live albums. Neither is necessarily better or worse, but ?New in Town? is his most recognizable piece of work, and it?s relatively polished. Mulaney segued easily from unplanned ramblings into his jokes, with only one recognizable bit from ?New in Town,? where he originated this gem: ?Now that I have a girlfriend, I always have someone next to me who can point out obvious things to me.? His other highlights included talking about not getting along with children, except one of his friends? daughters who one day unfortunately pointed out, ?He has a penis,? and contemplating the origin of the phrase ?Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?? Mulaney performed for well over an hour, a treat for those of expecting a somewhat abbreviated set. Despite the continuing confusion behind Amy Schumer?s cancelation, John Mulaney did not disappoint.