Local company ArtsRiot opens gallery

?Energetic jazz songs drew people in from the streets on Friday night?s Art Hop as the ArtsRiot gallery celebrated its opening Sep. 6. Staff members stood at the front, welcoming guests who seemed eager to discover Pine Street?s latest attraction.The gallery was made up of two rooms: one serving food, one featuring artwork and the opening band of the night, Red Hot Juba. People sat at tables and stood in conversation, creating an atmosphere ideal for ArtsRiot?s declared mission: to ?destroy apathy.? In the art room, children ran around, dancing and laughing. Young adults, students and older couples moved subtly to the beat. Some even danced full out to the folk songs that set an upbeat tone to the night. Though Red Hot Juba?s music was lively, the art around the room was focused on much more serious topics. One of the featured artists of the night, Jan Reynolds, displayed a photography series focused on the Nangpa La trade pass in Tibet. The intensity of the people featured in the series encouraged many to learn more by reading a description of the pass, hanging just off to the left of the series. Jan Reynolds is a UVM alum, having graduated in 1978 before traveling the world to study and photograph different cultures. Her latest work, ?High Altitude Women,? came to ArtsRiot Aug. 30 through a multimedia presentation as well as the gallery show that opened at Arts Hop. ?I thought it was actually really cool,? first-year Katie Dooman said. ?I liked the fact that they had live music and I think that the art was well done and original. There was stuff that I hadn?t seen before which made me really interested. I thought it was well set up.? In the adjoining room, chairs and tables were filled with people trying the unique food offered at the bar and grill. The food menu seemingly had an Asian theme, featuring items such as Gustie dumplings and a dish called Hong Shao Beijing. Co-owner of the gallery PJ McHenry was working at the bar himself, pouring beers for those with the proper hand-stamp. ?ArtsRiot is an arts gallery and music venue,? McHenry said. ?[We] create space to give people access to resources, feel empowered and feel connected to the community.?Though the ArtsRiot gallery is new, ArtsRiot itself is no stranger to Burlington. According to their website, artsriot.com, you can also find them at outdoor events such as the South End Truck Stop, Church Street Connect the Drops concerts and the South End farmer?s market. With such a strong presence in the city, ArtsRiot seems poised to continue to make a name for itself in the Burlington arts community.