Local Galerie hosts an intimate concert

Burlington?s New City Galerie opened its doors on a snowy March 19 evening for an intimate and personal night of performance.The night?s performers included Burlington artists Nora Zimmerly and Victoria Francis, as well as Boston-based indie groups IAN and Couples Counseling. A group of music-lovers gathered in the homey, dimly-lit space, with many sitting on the floor or in folding chairs. ?It was nice to be so close to the music,? first-year Elora Silver said. ?It had a very friendly atmosphere and there was this sweet, cozy sense of camaraderie among all of the people there.?The show opened with Victoria Frances. She performed an experimental set on her electric guitar while video footage played on a projection screen behind her. Frances also screened a short stop-motion film that she had created. As more people funneled in; IAN, lead by Berklee College of Music student Ian Medford, took the stage to play tracks from their album, ?Have You Ever Loved Anything This Much?? which was released earlier this month.?I like IAN because they?re such a complex band,? first-year Claire Macon said. ?Their lo-fi guitar melodies create an ethereal, dreamy sound, but with a slightly harder edge.?IAN was followed by Couples Counseling, which was comprised of fellow Berklee student Virginia De La Pozas.?Couples Counseling is an eclectic mix of sounds that combines into something that meshes perfectly,? Silver said.Couples Counseling performed a sampling of songs, such as ?Floating Heads? and ?I hope u nevr hear this? from her recently-released self-titled LP. The night concluded with Burlington singer-songwriter Nora Zimmerly, who, equipped with her acoustic guitar, performed a short set of original songs. Zimmerly, a West-coast-native and current Burlington resident, can be found playing at local venues such as Radio Bean.?Zimmerly has such a strong, emotive voice,? Silver said. ?I found myself very captivated by her performance. It was a great way to finish off the night.? Snow then accumulated along Church Street as concertgoers started to trickle out. It covered the brick street in a layer of white that reflected the lights hanging from nearby trees.?I left the show feeling great,? first-year Anita Para said. ?The performances were beautiful, and all so unique, and it?s not all that often that a concert can feel so comfortable and relaxed.?The show was put on by PizzaFace Booking and local music collective Friends and Family, who help organize local shows that feature emerging artists from across the country.