Local Vermont artists tear into national tours

Justin LevinsonThere is quite a bit of growth going on in the Burlington music world.Two acts ? Justin Levinson and the DuPont Brothers ? are taking forth upon tours leaving their nest of Vermont to hit the road.Born in Vergennes, Justin Levinson has spent most of his life in Vermont. By day, he does work for people with developmental disabilities and by night he?s a waiter.While many musicians have similar lifestyles, Justin sets himself apart by touring the U.S. and Canada with other acts such as Howie Day and Aaron Carter. But how did he get there?Shortly after graduating from the Berklee College of Music in Boston, Mass. in 2007, Justin played a slot at the Mercury Lounge in New York City.Following the show he met Matt Rafal, the man who would become his manager. Justin then signed with Supreme Entertainment Artists in 2007, and has since gone on to build his reputation as an up-and-coming artist in the national indie-pop scene.Justin supports his travels, recording and marketing expenses with his two jobs in Vermont as well as gig money and royalties from radio play.His real breakthrough came when his single, ?Waiting For Someone to Love Me? was picked up by Sirius Radio?s coffeehouse station. The station began to play it three times per day and kept it in their rotation for nearly four years.So, where is this local headed next??I would like to continue doing what I?m doing now,? Levinson said. He expressed interest in spending more time on the road and having more licensing opportunities. Levinson is happy where he is in his career, he said.Eventually, he would like to score films, write musicals or write songs for other up-and-coming artists, he said.Levinson will begin a U.S. tour with Teddy Geiger Jan. 22. He will perform in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and more. For more information, visit www.justinlevinson.com.The DuPont BrothersThe DuPont Brothers are another Vermont act that is currently embarking on a national tour. The band has been together for almost a year now, and the brothers call it the best musical year they?ve had to date. ?I think we?re learning we have to tour to pay our rent. ? The truth is my full time job has been bettering myself as a musician as much as I can,? Sam DuPont said.In time when management and label representation are increasingly difficult to afford, the DuPont Brothers are bringing back the professionalism that the do-it-yourself title once demanded. ?Interest, materials, road. That?s how it went,? Zack DuPont said.?We?re giving the artist a decent, respected, professional name and taking that professionalism to the table so that we can be taken seriously,? Sam said. From sold out local shows, with their full band, to several tours as a duo, the brothers have made more progress in the last eight months than some bands do in a lifetime. The brothers attribute much of their growth to Zack?s organizational abilities and the joy that comes from playing their music together. ?The reward is in doing what you love and in dedicating yourself to it,? Sam said. The DuPont Brothers hit the road as a duo Jan. 10 and will perform in North Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio and more. They celebrate their homecoming with shows at Nectar?s in Burlington every Wednesday for the month of February.