Lotus blooms before frenzied fans

A showcase for Lotus and Marvel Years, two dynamic musical acts displaying a passion for innovation, was held at Higher Ground this past Wednesday.Marvel Years, whose real name is Cory Wythe, a Burlington native and young gun DJ/musician, was the opening act. ?I have never really considered myself a DJ in the traditional sense, but instead more of a live performance producer,? Wythe said in a recent interview with the Cynic.This differentiation was apparent as he displayed a wide knowledge of music combined with his skills as a mash-up creator and electric guitar player. In the midst of groovy remix tracks that took root in far-reaching corners of the music world, Marvel Years whipped out his electric guitar. Guiding the guitar throughout his own musical creations he added yet another style to this diverse musical spectrum.Lotus then entered the stage to the cheers of fans awaiting the smooth electro groove of the five-piece band. Their style draws from many sources integrating new age synth work with classical rock. Lengthy electro fueled jam band style tracks flowed seamlessly from one to the other, often taking turns into various flavors of their steady, danceable style. The group dynamic and ability to transition between phases throughout marathon style sets is similar to that of jam bands such as Umphrey?s McGee. Halfway through their show, Lotus played their track ?Opo.?The song was met with a surge of energy from the crowd as a particularly funky baseline emerged from the stage. ?Opo? comes from a live album released in 2004 entitled ?Lotus Live at Schubas.?This flashback to the early years of Lotus provides an example of their dynamic nature. ?Opo? was a crowd favorite, despite its obscure nature and laid back vibes. The song?s reception showed how Lotus?s infectious rhythms could ignite excitement under any circumstance. ?[I enjoyed] the layers of funky bass, thumping rhythms and the different jiving melodies,? first-year Gabby Prodans said. ?My ears were never bored.?The dancing and cheers were continuous throughout the four hour performance, giving light to Lotus?s captivating style of music.