moe. keeps jamming

After more than 20 years of near constant touring and improving, moe. has become one of the most recognized and respected names in the jam band scene.The original members of moe. began playing together at the University of Buffalo back in 1989, and, like many bands, their first gig was located in their friend?s basement. After that initial show, moe. was officially formed. The band aimed high from the beginning, practicing constantly and booking gigs wherever they could. As of 1999 moe. has officially consisted of Rob Derhak (bass, vocals), Al Schnier (guitar, vocals, keyboard), Chuck Garvey (guitar, vocals), Vinnie Amico (drums), and Jim Loughlin (percussion). In light of their upcoming shows at the Higher Ground Ballroom this Wednesday and Thursday, the Cynic caught up with Rob Derhak to discuss the band?s history, how they manage three annual festivals and what?s in the future for this venerable jam band.The Vermont Cynic : As one of the founding members of moe., you?ve been with the band since the very beginning. What are some of the ways that the band has progressed over the years that you are most proud of?Rob Derhak : Well one of the things that I like the best about us as a band is not necessarily a visible thing. As a band from the beginning until now we?ve really learned to be good listeners. Like when we first started playing we would all try to vie for a position, almost like a race you know? We?ve just learned to be a band and we learned to listen to what everyone is doing without stomping on what the other guys are doing musically. That has a lot to do with having respect for what everyone is doing and just really listening to what?s going on. VC: If you were to describe moe.?s sound and what you?re all about to somebody who has never heard of the band, what would you say?RD: Well you know we get described as a jam band, which I think is fairly accurate. But I like to say that we play improvisational rock. VC: moe. has been hosting moe.down for 15 years, Summer Camp Music Festival for 13 years, snow.down for 5 years, and two moe.cruises. What have been some of your challenges with keeping up with all of these commitments?RD: Infrastructure [laughs]. We try as a band to stay out of the organizational aspect of that stuff as much as we can, but being a band that?s not really a huge international act where there are hundreds of publicists and all that crap working for us, we end up getting our hands dirty in a lot of it. The biggest challenge is trying to keep it really fun. You know you want those things to just be a lot of fun, but at the same time if we can?t make any money doing it and pay everybody we can?t do those things. 12