Moses leads UVM to aid

Alumna Molly Kelly-Yahner was busy working at Sweet Waters while Hurricane Irene ravaged southern Vermont. The Irene Benefit Concert happening at 9 p.m. on Oct. 15 on the Bailey/Howe Green was inspired by her co-workers’ stories, detailing Irene’s detrimental effects on friends and family. “I realized that people in Vermont still really needed help, and the more relief efforts the better,” Kelly-Yahner said. “I collaborated with my former boss, President Pro Tempore John Campbell from the Vermont State Senate, and also with UVM to see if they could help me find a venue.” Tickets for the show are $5, and proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross, the Vermont Food Bank and the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund, according to the UVM Homecoming Weekend website.   “This is an all-volunteer effort,” Kelly-Yahner said. “Everyone is donating his or her time and talents.” The Development and Alumni Relations department is also pitching in to help. “[They] are my heroes,” Kelly-Yahner said. “They are allowing us to stage our event in the alumni tent that is already set up for the zero-, five- and 10-year reunion earlier that night.” Headlining the show will be UVM’s own Moses and the Electric Company, according to the concert’s Facebook page.   The group’s MySpace page describes the band as “a concoction of slappy-tappy bass, primal emotive guitar, time bending keyboard and energetic drumming.” “They are volunteering their time and will be joined by Eric George on vocals. The concert will open with a guest DJ set from a Vermont state senator – President Pro Tempore John Campbell,” Kelly-Yahner said.   When asked to describe what concertgoers can expect, Moses and the Electric Company bassist Ross Doree did not hold back.   “Our latest music is like a mute love child concieved by Modest Mouse and the Mathematics of Goedel; in other words, we will be playing ethereal, yet funky, multi-part compositions and some covers that you’ll like,” Doree said. Moses and the Electric Company is looking forward to helping out a good cause. “We love playing music for open ears and we’ll take any chance to help the community while doing so,” Doree said.   Tickets for the show can be purchased at the door, and a cash bar will be available until 10:30 p.m., according to the show’s Facebook page.   “Everyone has $5 lying around somewhere and should spend it to help the people of Vermont who are still in need,” Kelly-Yahner said.