Muse’s new album provides listeners something to ponder

Muses are tools to inspire, and the band Muse does just that. The musicians are fantastic, the lyrics are meaningful and the band works together to produce overwhelming songs. Muse’s most recent album, “The Resistance,” does exactly this. The band’s fifth album will not disappoint their following. “The Resistance” blurs the lines between genres of music; it  is simultaneously progressive rock, alternative and electronica. The first song on the album, “Uprising,” suits its name. The song is a clever ballad that encourages listeners to question everything. It’s paranoid, extravagant and wild. “Uprising” mirrors front man Matt Bellamy’s own political views, a conspiracy theorist who stated on Alex Jones’s radio show in June 2007 that he believes, “September 11 is clearly an inside job.”  The mixture of the electronic and rock genres calls for a revolution of a new generation of songs, and Bellamy will lead us there. As a rock star, one of the social gods of the world, why not start your own revolution?”United States of Eurasia” delivers a slight nod to Queen’s “We Are The Champions” and “Bohemian Rhapsody.” It quickly develops into a Middle Eastern piano tune, yet it still feels completely like the band’s unique sound. Bellamy’s voice, along with the piano, is absolutely captivating. “Guiding Light” will make you feel like you’re flying through space. Though the lyrics themselves are somewhat depressing  — but when it comes to relationships, we have to admit they’re often true — the tune of the sound gives you that comfort that it’s all going to be okay. “Unnatural Selection” is perfectly fast-paced and another cry for the truth. “MK Ultra” and “Undisclosed Desires” are completely unique in sound, where the beat is counterbalanced by excellent vocals.Muse closes their album with the last three songs “Exogenesis” (Parts 1-3), a rock symphony piece. Akin to a space odyssey, one cannot doubt that Muse has taken us on a journey in “The Resistance.” The  album  is the Chuck Norris of music – reckless, eccentric and definitely in charge of its own free will. It’s U2 meets Metallica, electronica meets rock, and could beat Coldplay any day. “The Resistance” is fantastic, and possibly the best Muse album yet. And if you don’t agree, then you’re being controlled by the other side of the resistance.