Nashville singer-songwriters to perform on campus

A group of singer-songwriters will bring a taste of Nashville’s vibrant music scene to UVM this Friday.

The trio will be coming to UVM’s Recital Hall as a part of their tour around the U.S. April 28.

The three musicians, Mary Gauthier, Eliza Gilkyson and Gretchen Peters, are based out of Nashville, Tennessee and have all independently received quite a bit of recognition for their music.

Gauthier’s songs have been performed by many reputable artists including Jimmy Buffet, Tim McGraw and Blake Shelton, according to the artist’s website. She has received accolades from the Americana Music Association, the Gay and Lesbian American Music Awards, and the Boston Music Awards.

Gilkyson has had her albums nominated for a Grammy award twice and is an active political and environmental advocate, according to the artist’s website.

Peters has also had her work nominated for a Grammy, and has written songs for Etta James, Shania Twain and Jimmy LaFave, among others, according to the artist’s website.

The three have enjoyed success in each of their respective careers over the decades, but decided to merge about three years ago when they grew tired of traveling solo, Gauthier said.

“We aren’t really a group, but rather three songwriters who are friends that enjoy each other’s company, tell stories, swap songs and call it a show,” she said. “We have all been close friends for decades.”

Gauthier emphasized the importance of honesty in their music, which focuses on current issues.

“Our story songs are about life and the things that cause you to struggle,” she said. “There are just so many issues today to sing about, so we do.”

In terms of describing their music, Three Women and the Truth would rather not label it one distinct genre, Gauthier said.

“Some call it folk, some call it Americana,” Gauthier said. “But it’s definitely not escapism, it’s that other thing – art.”

The main inspiration for their music is pure and simple, she said.

“Living is all the inspiration you really need,” Gauthier said. “Every single day there’s something to sing about, if you’re paying attention.”

This Friday will be their first time performing as a group in Vermont, and they are looking forward to it, Gauthier said.

“Vermont is a beautiful little corner of the world, and we’re honored to be here… So sit back, relax, and let us tell you a story,” Gauthier said. “We got this.”

The show will begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for UVM students and $30 for the public.