Netflix original series throws viewers back to the ’80s

The Netflix original series “Stranger Things” was a surprise summer hit.

The series is set in the 1980s and is one huge throwback, calling to mind classics like “The Goonies,” and is seemingly inspired by Stephen King.

The story begins with the disappearance of 12-year-old Will Byers (Noah Schnapp), setting off a chain of events.

His mother, Joyce (Winona Ryder), frantically searches for him with the help of the grim police chief, Jim Hooper (David Harbour).

Meanwhile, Will’s friends Mike (Finn Wolfhard), Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin) and Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo) form their own search party. The boys stumble upon a mysterious girl named Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) with superpowers and a connection to the missing Will.

StrangeThingsThe groups race against a ruthless government agency and an otherworldly presence to uncover the truth and save those who have disappeared.

You’ve seen many of these characters before. There are the nerds, the bullies, the popular boy and the rebellious teenage girl.

What “Stranger Things” does so well is perfect these roles and then turn them upside down as characters face imminent danger and must grow and change. The characters never seem fake or overplayed,with the exception of some cheesy moments spurred by Eleven’s limited vocabulary.

Winona Ryder plays a spectacularly frantic but strong single mother who won’t give up on her missing son, even when everyone else has.

Amidst the excitement and adventure, the show tackles important social issues by examining family dynamics, especially in times of tragedy. The drama forces characters to battle with the past and take a deeper look into their lives that ultimately influences their actions.

The show is paced perfectly, dropping clues as to what happened to Will and what exactly is going on with Eleven, but still maintains a suspenseful mystery up to the very end.

The show also allows the audience to form their own opinions and ideas before actually revealing major plot points on screen.

On the surface, “Stranger Things” is simply a nostalgic indulgence, but the story is deep and genuine thanks to terrific character development and acting.

This thrilling series deserves to be on your Netflix binge list.