Nine-piece funk group to return to Higher Ground

Adding a new element to the periodic table of funk with their soon-to-be-released album “Digitonium,” Turkuaz plans to give Burlington the first taste of new material.

Turkuaz, a nine-piece funk band, will be playing at Higher Ground, Sept. 25.

After last year’s sold out show at Higher Ground, the Brooklyn powerhouse will return to the stage and “bring it,” said trumpeter and keyboardist Chris Brouwers.

The band is excited to be back in Burlington and playing at Higher Ground.

“I would put Higher Ground in the upper echelon of venues we play at,”  he said.

“We made a conscious effort to not play music before the record release tour. We wanted to save it and bring a whole wave of new songs into our repertoire,” Brouwers said. “The shows we have with you all [in Burlington] will be the first time that we show off some of the new stuff.”

This new album will be a departure from previous albums. “Digitonium” incorporates a lot of new instruments and “a lot more synth.”

“We’ve immersed ourselves night and day, everyday and all day,” he said.

“We put considerably more effort into this one, while thinking of the next step in our evolution as a band,” Brouwers said.

Although the band draws its influences from bands such as Parliament Funkadelic, Talking Heads and Sly & The Family Stone, they are inspired by a lot of newer bands as well.

“A lot of stuff that inspires us now are bands that we interact with on the road,” Brouwers said. “Bands like Snarkey Puppy, for example -– they are a group of really good musicians that we are also friends with and see a lot of at musical festivals and other shows.”

They will funk you up, funk you down, funk you left and funk you right.

Friday, Sept. 25  at one of Turkuaz’s favorite venues, Higher Ground, Turkuaz will raise the roof with their four singers, brass section, guitars, keyboards and drums. 

The show is $15 in advance and will be $15 day of the show.