ODESZA and more coming to Burlington

Coming to Higher Ground this Saturday is up-and-coming indie dance duo ODESZA, hoping to get an energy-stuffed dance party going.The group consists of Seattle-native electronic music producers Harrison Mills, also known as Catacombkid, and Clayton Knight, also known as BeachesBeaches.Two track from their debut release, ?Summer?s Gone,? reached No. 1 on the Hype Machine Popular Chart. To date the duo has had over 4.7 million streams from their Soundcloud.com page.Knight himself got into electronic dance genre recently, having a background in more rock-influenced music growing up.?I started playing classical, listening to classic rock, stuff like that,? Knight said.?I got into weirder stuff [in college], indie ambient stuff, weird-er electronic music, and then [it] finally led to that dance-y, four-on-the-floor music style that I fell in love with,? he said.ODESZA takes influence from a range of artistic styles, such as the music of Animal Collective and Seattle art scene as a whole.Knight said they try to incorporate as much of what they love about the genre as possible.?It?s just something about the energy [and] the repetition that puts you in a trance,? Knight said.?Its very primal, and reaches a level inside you that most other types of music can?t do, because its not bass-heavy or emphasizing those rhythms,? he said.As musicians, they craft their tracks in a collaborative manner, with both artists working together while, according to Knight, ?in [each] own?s head space.?They try to put in as much of that feeling as possible. ?We try to add a bit of those [primal] rhythms, tribal sounds ? low end heavy stuff,? he said.?When you just end up tapping your foot subconsciously then you?re doing something right,? he said.?[This is] because then you?re connecting to it on a level you?re not even aware of ? that is what dance music is all about.?ODESZA?s live show is a dynamic dance show, according to Knight.?We start a little flow, starting [slow] and then hopefully by the very end get everyone movin?,? Knight said. ?We wanna get a dance party goin?, get that energy up.?ODESZA is on tour with Emancipator and Real Magic. They are coming to Higher Ground Feb. 8. Tickets are on sale at: http://www.highergroundmusic.com/event/421869-emancipator-south-burlington/