Redbone shares eclectic musical fusion

Martha Redbone Root?s Project is breaking new ground in the music industry with an eclectic genre fusion unfamiliar to many.Through the classic poetry of William Blake and a distinct musical direction derived from her ancestral roots of traditional Native American music, blues and country, Redbone has constructed a unique genre to call her own. On Oct. 11, Martha Redbone and The ?Roots Project? Band brought this personal genre blend to the UVM Recital Hall, carrying the story of where they came through raw and emotive music.Redbone and the Roots Project band came onto the stage with a story to tell and a vibrant, soulful and sassy personality that permeated to every corner of the recital hall. Singing Appalachian songs from her childhood in Black Mountain, Kentucky, Redbone sang with a strong spirit that made it was nearly impossible to stop your foot from tapping along to the well-executed renditions of Blake?s adapted poems. As the lights dimmed and the band started to play, the goosebumps on the arms of nearly everyone in the recital hall rose when Redbone began singing Blake?s poem ?Here The Voice of The Bard? with her own distinct bluesy-folk twist. Within seconds, the entire crowd was clapping along and captivated under the spell of the poetry of Blake and Redbone?s breathtaking vocals. It was not uncommon to find the person next to you singing along, in fact; Redbone made the majority of the songs interactive by teaching the audience Native American chants to sing with her during some of her songs.?C?mon guys. Get on your feet. We?re going to make it like in church in here,? Redbone said as she ushered the crowd to clap to the beat and get up and dance to her song ?Hold On.? Part of what made Redbone?s concert such an experience for the audience was that she was not singing for herself or for the fame, but in remembrance of her ancestors, her hometown of Black Mountain, Kentucky and to share the beauty of William Blake?s poetry with the world. ?I absolutely loved the fusion of poetry and music and how everything that makes her unique fuses together and she portrays it to us while she is on stage,? sophomore Sasha Kedzie said. ?This was my first time going to a concert through the Lane Series, and after what I just saw, I will definitely be coming back.?