Reel life: MoPi house

In just three semesters, Living & Learning?s Moving Picture (MoPi) House has made a splash at UVM and in Burlington with a variety of film projects. Student program directors junior Jake Schneider, sophomore Evan Gracie and junior Paul Ouellette all work to ensure that MoPi reaches its full potential. Living with a group of students who do everything together ?provides the best environment for growing as people,? Schneider said. MoPi grew from Schneider?s experience when, after his first semester, he realized the need for a place where students can enjoy watching and making movies together.And make movies they do. MoPi has weekly short film assignments and hosts a YouTube channel for group content, but their productions do not stop there. Last year MoPi started filming for Friends and Family, a local nonprofit that helps musicians put on shows in Burlington. ?We started trying to help them out because they aren?t well recognized around here,? Gracie said. With the help of a video made by MoPi house, Friends and Family started a fundraiser to pay for a PA system and other materials. The fundraiser, which started last week, met its goal of $1,300 within the first night. Additionally, they have done an interview with Burger Records and a video for the Burlington nonprofit Dress for Success. ?We?ve got friends in interesting places,? Schneider said, commenting on their diverse project history. In addition to their many film viewing sessions, every Thursday night MoPi hosts their official film screenings in their common room. Post-film discussions are ?intense debates,? Oullette said. ?One time Evan tried to tell me that the guys on the [Star Trek] enterprise are bad scientists,? he said. ?They are bad scientists,? Gracie said. ?They take too many risks.?Visit MoPi house for one of their film screenings and check out their channel on YouTube.