Silent cinema is given sound

?On the night of ghosts, goblins, gobs of glucose and good times, true hauntings took place as cinematic spectacle at the Roxy Cinemas in downtown Burlington.The popular local theater featured the Andrew Alden Ensemble, who performed an accompaniment to not one, but two horror films: ?Nosferatu? and ?Vampyr? ? a double feature of classic silent cinema. The showing began at 7 p.m., and went on well into the night until 11 p.m. ?When my ensemble asked me what we were going to be doing in the spring, in 2011 going into 2012, I told them we would be playing live music to old classic movies,? Alden said.Alden and his ensemble, which is currently on tour performing accompaniments to these films and more, began putting on these events six years ago. It began as Andrew Alden?s way of combining his two loves: classic films and writing music.The films he chooses to soundtrack are given hefty research before the writing process begins. ?As I am writing, I trust my instincts and try to make a complete sound world and environment for each movie,? Alden said.In this realm of live cinematic score, Alden becomes something of an ambience architect, adding an extra pulse to the original works ? and that is his favorite part, as much as it is the audience?s. ?My favorite part is to be able to be completely in control of the world,? Alden said. ?[To] know that the audience is right there with me in the unique environment I have created.?An evening highlight was the second of the two features, ?Vampyr;? a surreal and sometimes psychedelic take on the vampire story, in comparison to modern retellings. Alden?s score was a dynamic soundtrack that captured the shadows which slither in the night.In the future, Alden would like to approach more contemporary films. ?We are thinking of doing possibly ?The Shining,? ?Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind,? and maybe ?2001: A Space Odyssey? or ?Metropolis,? he said. Under the projections of black-and-white classic horror films, Andrew Alden and his small-but-savvy ensemble made an atmosphere that gave the movies a new life and dimension, bringing a movie theater experience one truly has to be there to experience.