The Iron Lady’ falls on its face

The movie “The Iron Lady,” released on Jan. 13, was highly forgettable.  

With a title like that, an actress like Meryl Streep and a character like Margaret Thatcher, this film screams Oscar-worthy. Unfortunately, Streep was the only aspect of this movie that lived up to expectations.

As the film unfolds, a somewhat senile, retired Thatcher tells the story of her empowered rise to the position of prime minister of Great Britain through a series of jumbled flashbacks. 

At this point in her life, Thatcher has hallucinations of her deceased husband and visions of triumphs and failures, politically as well as personally. 

The controversies of the era are identified primarily through a few flashes of protesters with picket signs, which quickly change back to Thatcher’s thoughts or another montage of social issues. 

Thatcher’s involvement with these issues is summed up by nothing more than a few minutes of conversation with either her staff or the opposing party. 

The film did delve slightly into the surprisingly glamour-less personal life of Margaret Thatcher.

However, the back-and-forth between personal and political as well as past and present was a little too much. There was not enough coverage of either aspect to reveal anything of real substance.

Despite the film’s flaws, Streep is suitably nominated for an Oscar for her performance in the film. 

For having such an influential main character, the film as a whole did not do her justice. Sadly, “The Iron Lady” will probably not be remembered as the powerful, sensational biography it could have been.