The sky is green and the beats, antique

Fans of diverse musical taste were drawn to the Higher Ground venue, on the night of Wednesday April 27. In the Showcase Lounge, Green Sky, Blue Grass — a five-piece band — used traditional bluegrass instruments to create original and unique sounds for their audience. “I was so impressed by their quality of playing,” first year Haleahy Craven said. “Each and every one of them was an incredibly talented musician, and on top of that, their musical chemistry on stage was great.” Green Sky has been likened to ‘70s era Americana acts like The Band, according to the band’s webpage. They would prefer not to be compared to any other bands, however. “We really just try to make music as a group that sounds and feels right to us,” mandolin player Paul Hoffman said, according to the site. “It is nice to know that other people really dig it, too.” The band was described as having great energy, as well as being happy and excited to be on stage. “Green sky is a lot of fun to dance to,” Craven said. “They’re a great up-and-coming band that have the potential to do great things.” The band also has a unique tie to the UVM community. “A graduating UVM student will be their tour manager this summer,” Craven said. Meanwhile, in the Higher Ground ballroom, Beats Antique made their second appearance at the venue this year. “The atmosphere was incredible,” first year Alexis Resnick said. “People were so pumped to be there, the energy in the room was out of control. Great vibes. Super upbeat and everyone just trying to get down to some good music.” Beats Antique is growing like wildfire under the canopy of live electronica and world roots music. They are a masterful combination of modern technology, live instrumentation and seductive performance, built of brass bands and glitch, string quartets and dubstep, according to the band’s webpage. “They are foreign, primitive; they are unique and beautiful,” sophomore and Higher Ground street team member Elise Gloeckner said. “Zoe Jakes, where do I start? She is a smoldering performer, a world-renowned belly dance performer, music producer, and I would definitely tap that,” Gloeckner said.  David Satori and Tommy Cappel are the other two of the trio. Both men were trained classically before venturing to locations such as Bali, West Africa, Serbia and beyond, according to the site. “This was my third show, and it was best by far,” Gloeckner said. “It was great to see new material. This time they were much heavier on the bass. It showed they were able to bring more variety to their music.” “They are musicians as well as entertainers,” she said. “I really enjoy how they interact with the crowd,” she said. No matter which stage fans were watching this past Wednesday, they were almost sure to enjoy themselves. The bands may have differed in genre and sound, but great vibes, talent and satisfied viewers were common points between the two.