Top 3 ski movies of 2010

To begin with, I am only going to review Freeride and Freeski movies because, let’s be honest here, racing is for goobs and Warren Miller Entertainment can hardly be considered legitimate ski filmmaking anymore. With the explosion of high-level DSLR filming and high-quality point-of-view cameras, this year’s cinematography was truly incredible.  I was lucky enough to see nearly every professional and amateur movie this year thanks to the International Freeskiing Film Festival (IF3) and Lorelle Sherman, the Ski and Snowboard Club (SSC) officer in charge of bringing movies to Burlington. Well, here we go: GOLD: Match Stick Productions’ “The Way I See It”  The only real way to describe this movie is banger.  In typical MSP fashion, the film was shot in a multitude of locations across the globe including Japan, Alaska, Colorado, Switzerland and Idaho.  Highlights of the film include teen phenom Sean Petit’s backcountry domination, perhaps the most epic booter session ever from Bobby Brown, Gus Kenworthy and Russ Henshaw — all set to the stunning backdrop of Alaskan mountains — as well as an unbelievably touching segment dedicated to the late Arne Backstrom’s conquest of Lake Tahoe’s backcountry. If deep pow, backcountry booters, massive lines and godzilla park shoots are yo thang, then pick up this flick and have your socks rocked. SILVER: Level 1 Productions’ “Eye Trip”  In the way that MSP dominates the freeride aspect of the sport, L1P has come to be skiing’s park, urban and backcountry jib bible.  The crisp, clean cinematography we have come to expect from Level 1 paired with a long list of freeskiing’s rising talent, yields one of their best movies to date.  Highlights include one of the most ginormous step-downs ever built in Sun Vally, Idaho, a jaw-dropping urban montage from the streets of Helsinki and the L1P crew’s creativity on the peaks of Alaska.  Standout performances include Mount Snow native, Praker White’s breakout year and Ahmet Dadali’s display of cat-like skills that earned him male performance of the year at IF3. If park, backcountry creativity and urban are the blood in your veins, then grab this one quick.  BRONZE: Meathead Productions’ “Work It Out!” Burlington’s own Meathead Productions will always have a warm place in my heart.  Shot completely on the East Coast, the crew capitalizes on the painfully variable weather conditions we all live in. With record-breaking snowfall down south, the Meatheads traveled down to Washington, D.C. to get some breathtaking urban footage set to the backdrop of the nation’s capital.  They also kick out some of the best park shoots of the year in such unsuspecting southern locations as Pennsylvania, New Jersey and southern Vermont.  Other highlights included Shea Flynn’s urban destruction of his hometown in rural Maine and Burlington local LJ Strenio’s rail ninjary exposed on the UVM campus. If you love, hate or love to hate the weather conditions of the East Coast, then support this local crew and check ‘er out.