You’ll cry ‘Like Crazy’

Grab a glass of wine and a pint of Ben & Jerry’s and prepare yourself for a good cry. 

“Like Crazy” is a love story made for the 21st century, and one that anyone who has ever been in a long-distance relationship can relate to.

Felicity Jones plays Anna, a college student from the U.K. who is in Los Angeles on a student visa. 

She falls for a fellow student, Jacob, played by Anton Yelchin. Their love is incredibly believable on screen. 

Unable to say goodbye, Anna violates her visa in order to spend a few more months with Jacob — an act that ultimately results in her inability to re-enter the U.S. 

Struggling with a relationship across continents, their on-again off-again love and failed attempts to temper the sting of loneliness are true to life and painful to watch. 

Even more painful to watch are the continuous rejections of the couple’s attempts to get Anna back in the states. 

Their last-ditch attempt and final rejection — don’t worry, the movie has not been spoiled — is enough to melt the coldest of hearts. 

The movie has simple, realistic dialogue and the scenes are shot in about four locations. 

This simplicity makes for some slow moments, but ultimately is what makes this film a realistic portrayal of love and loss. 

You will not be rolling your eyes at another clichéd Hollywood ending. In fact, you will probably stare at the screen, mouth slightly agape, regretting every time you wished for a movie that didn’t have a cookie-cutter storyline. 

By answering the questions we always ask but never really want to know the answers to — Is love really enough? How much are you willing to give up for the one you love? Is long distance really that bad? — This movie will either serve as a life lesson or a painful reminder of love lost.