Young the Giant Preview

Despite the fact that Young the Giant has only their debut album and supporting act Grouplove to back them up on Mar. 6 at Higher Ground, they have already sold out. Young the Giant is an American alternative rock band that formed in Irvine, Calif., in 2004. Formerly known as The Jakes, Young the Giant finalized their lineup in 2010 and released their self titled debut album. According to guitarist Jacob Tilley, concert-goers should expect the same quality music from live performances that they get from listening to the album. However, what makes Young the Giant’s concerts worthwhile is their interaction with the crowd. “We’re really high energy,” Tilley said. Young the Giant has a series called “In the Open,” filmed by Alexander Shahmiri, that best demonstrates what to expect at Higher Ground. “In the Open” includes song-by-song live sessions of the band’s album in locations such as a pasture in Northern California and a rooftop in New York City.  Much like the band Fun., who performed at Higher Ground on Feb. 29, Young the Giant’s single “Cough Syrup” was recently covered by the popular Fox series “Glee” in its most recent episode “On My Way,” which was the winter finale of the show’s third season. “We try and make each show more unique,” Tilley said. “It’s a good time, it always is.”