802 is no longer just our area code

Proud to be a Vermont snowboarder, even including the occasional cow in his designs, Mark Girardi founded 802 snowboards with his partner Alex Kelley. 802 Snowboards was founded in 2005 and has since created its own custom line of snowboards and clothing. The company wanted to support the local snowboard scene and found that not many people were opening snowboard shops at the time, Girardi said. When they started the shop, they were originally selling other brands of snowboards. “We realized the power of the brand and started selling everything 802,” Girardi said. Now, their merchandise has a distinct Vermont vibe. One of their interns, Alex Putnam, is still in high school. Girardi said that they have a large high school fan base that they like to reach out to. “We get them young,” Girardi said. “People love the cows,” Putnam said about the cow graphics on clothing and boards. 802 Snowboards makes their snowboards in a variety of places. Last year, the snowboards were made in Utah and this year they were made in California. 802 Snowboards capitalizes on social marketing, Girardi said. Intern Dirk Cionci, a junior at UVM, found his internship through a post on the company’s Facebook page. New snowboards generally come out between November and January, Girardi said. Clothing is also a large component of their business, including hats and custom t-shirts. “People do some really creative things [with shirts],” Putnam said. 802 Snowboards gets a lot of support from the local community. A large portion of their snowboarding team is UVM students or alumni, Girardi said. 802 has also sponsored the UVM Ski and Snowboard Club in the past, as well as selling merchandise in the Growing Vermont store located in the Davis Center, Girardi said. The company also sponsors many local events. 802 Snowboards recently sponsored the “Hucking for Hicks Rail Jam” on Feb. 25. “We try to do at least a little bit for everyone,” Girardi said. Additionally, they like to promote the events that they sponsor through social media, like Facebook, Cionci said.