Author clears up mystery behind job hunt

Undergrads facing competition in the job market is nothing new, but resources to tackle post-grad employment and tips to get ahead are often difficult to find.

That’s where S.A. Eberwein wants his book, “Cash Your Investment: How To Leverage Your College Degree Into a Great First Job,” to come in.

The book serves as a guide to recent college graduates or those finishing up their last year in school embarking on a job search.

Eberwein offers advice on topics ranging from eye contact in interviews to starting off the process with the right mindset.

“I just thought there’s maybe a little bit of a void,” he said. “You can go online and find a million how-to’s … what I really wanted to do with this book was try to make kind of a catchall, original resource where I’m going to try to give some real-world advice and back it up with examples.”  

He was partly inspired by his own experience as a student. Eberwein also cited a visit to Southern Methodist University in Dallas as a reason for writing the book.

He realized the need for such a resource when speaking to a group of business students and received multiple questions after.

“My first year through college, I didn’t really know anything career-wise,” Eberwein said, explaining that the book was created as a sort of “one-stop shop” for advice and guidance.  

He said one of the biggest obstacles for students is not having the right mindset in the job search.

In fact, chapter one of the book is called “Master Your Mind.”

“I don’t know how many times I would talk to people and I would hear, ‘oh, I couldn’t get that job, I didn’t have the right major,’ or ‘oh, I didn’t go to Harvard, I couldn’t get that job,’” Eberwein said.  

Senior Jess Cohen feels differently about the post college scramble.

“I’m studying how to teach, so for me, it’s pretty clear what I need to do after senior year,” Cohen said. “This major has given me tons of field experience, I have spent the entire semester in the classroom.”

“The majority of my friends, however, seniors now and those that have since graduated, are more worried about finding jobs related to their major,” she said.

“They have jobs, but not necessarily careers,” Cohen said.