Breaking down dorm life

You may be away from your parents, but there are still rules to follow in the dorms at UVM.

Full-time students are required to live on-­campus for their first and second years, and must sign the Housing and Meal Contract before the start of the semester, according to UVM Housing and Meal Contract. For the 2015-­16 term, UVM is expected to house more than 5,500 undergraduates on four residential campuses, as well as at the Sheraton Hotel and Quarry Hill Apartments, according to the University website.

“Living in the dorms is really fun,” sophomore Meredith Lupini said. “But students should be aware of the rules because we are living on school property.”

Health and safety inspecting are conducted once a month to ensure clean, healthy and safe living environments for current and future students, according to the ResLife housing contact. These monthly inspections require a 24-hour notice, and staff are authorized to enter student rooms, given that there was prior notification, according to the contract.

“Room inspections aren’t so bad,” first­-year RJ Tocci said. “They’re very clear with the rules and give you notice.”

Each resident of a room or suite where empty alcohol containers or marijuana paraphernalia are found will be billed $150 per infraction, according to the contract. Alcohol containers are recycled during health and safety inspections, said Joe Russell, associate director for Residential Education.

Marijuana paraphernalia is handed over to police services to be logged and destroyed. Outside of room inspections, rooms can be entered if there is reasonable cause to do so including any smells and the sight of illegal substances or alcohol, according to the contract.

If this happens, the residence director or assistant residence director will knock and announce who they are and that they intend to enter, according to the contract. If no response is received, the door will be unlocked.

Junior Nick Tatakis is a residential advisor in Wills Hall. “My job is not to seek out those who are violating the rules,” Tatakis said. “My hope is that I help foster a sense of comfort within my hall where people feel they have some agency and don’t dread going back to their room.”